With all the different brands of bread out there, navigating the bread aisle could be very confusing. I have previous written a post with tips to help you choose whole grain bread .
In summary, there are several steps you can take to help you select the more nutritious bread options:
- Read the list of ingredients; look for a short list with terms that you understand
- Look for the terms “pure sprouted grains” and/or “whole grain” on the ingredient list
- Find a bread that has at least 3 grams of fibre
- Find a bread that has at least 4 grams of protein
- Aim for 1 gram of sugar
- Look for 0 grams trans fat and 0 grams saturated fat
- Look for less sodium ( <180 mg of sodium)
My clients have been asking me about specific brands out there. So lets explore the most and least nutritious bread choices available at your local grocery store.
Remember, food is for pleasure. While certain choices should not be consumed on a regular basis, they could still be part of a healthy diet when eaten in moderation.